Eclipse of my Brain

There’s a good side to today … but it didn’t happen until after Friday morning was done.

Thursday evening was really hard for me. I spent the day waiting for my colleague to fulfill her financial obligations toward me so I could go to bed. She was aware that Friday was a full day for me, but didn’t care enough to even keep her phone turned on so we could complete our transaction, which takes less than five minutes. Instead of going to bed around 7:00 p.m. like I originally planned so that when I got up at 4:00 a.m. Friday I’d have a good run of sleep, I ended up not going to bed until 2:00 a.m. Friday morning for a quick nap before getting up at 4:00 a.m. anyway. It was stressful, stupid and completely avoidable. She swore it would never happen again. I believe her, but have definitely gained a harder skin with each exposure to this job.

Problem #1: I got too little sleep Thursday night.

Problem #2: I started my period Friday morning and entered the no-energy brain slowdown typical to stated condition.

This pretty much led to me accidentally screwing my husband over for his morning at work. My brain just couldn’t turn on correctly. Instead of a shot of energy drink, I poured his typical relaxing shot: vodka and vanilla cognac! I realized it in time, but that would’ve been a disaster.

I didn’t send enough food with him to work and forgot the snack altogether. It’s a wonder anything was done correctly. I passed out right after he went to work and left a mess in the kitchen. The lettuce was pretty much done in after being on the counter for hours by the time I got enough sleep to remotely deal.

Why did I not just tuck into bed and stay there all day like I really, really wanted to? I was silly and made plans to do stuff on the day of the eclipse at the end of a really tense week. I promised my mom I’d be her ride to a really important dinner. I also, if I got my act together, would get to see my sister (Marlene) for a bit if I could get to Mom’s early enough to do so. I rarely get to see her so it was a treat I really wanted to enjoy.

In the end, I only saw Marlene for a few minutes. It was still wonderful, but way too short. I felt awful, but am proud that I did fulfill my promise to my mom. She got to go to her friend’s memorial service and give comfort to the other friends and family her friend left behind. I got to spend time with my mom, which was cool. All in all, emotionally, today was just crazy. I even got to see my dad for a moment after I got back to my parents house.

I dropped my mom off at her house and managed to get home about 1:30 a.m. on Saturday.  I feel like I rode a tornado.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s